Nov 29, 2009

Feasts, a Rice-Sized Surprise, and the Future

This weekend was fun and crazy all at the same time. I've been busy getting ready for exam week, which includes writing exams (which take forever) and totaling term classwork grades. I'm currently rebelling against finishing my last exam by posting this.

I've also been feasting . . . all weekend.
Thursday: Thanksgiving dinner with turkey, mashed potatoes, jellied cranberries, and good ol' pumpkin pie.
Friday: Sallah party (Muslim holiday) at a student's house. Jollof rice, moin moin (sort of like fish-flavored refried black beans that are . . . gooier), chicken, cakes, cupcakes, Kit-Kats, Snickers, and sparkling grape juice.
Saturday: Homemade pizza, pop, and leftover pie.
Sunday: Coconut chicken curry with rice, salad, and brownies at the Nampack compound (we go there fairly often to visit the South Africans with whom we have a Bible study).

Yesterday, I also happened to find a little treat which I did not feast on. It was hiding under the skin of my wrist. At first, I thought to myself, "Wow! This mosquito bite isn't going away. And it's starting to get painful." Then I thought, "Why does this mosquito bite look like it has puss underneath it? Maybe it's a pimple and not a mosquito bite." So I squeezed the "pimple."

Surprise! Surprise! What should pop out of my arm but a little white maggot. Luckily I had just woken up so my mind wasn't fully awake, or I very well may have thrown up all over my bedroom floor. As it was, I killed the grain-of-rice-sized maggot (unfortunately before taking a picture of it) and flushed it down the toilet.

Moving on to a slightly less revolting topic, this week is exam week and the production of our Christmas musical, Papa Panov. I'm not looking forward to either, because I don't feel ready for either. But after Papa Panov on Saturday night, I'm going to babysit two kids at the Nampack compound and spend the night there, as well as next Sunday. Then it's fun and games at school during the celebration of the end of exams. :) Next Tuesday I'll be going to the local 7-layered waterfall with my middle schoolers, then the next day I'll be jumping in a van with three more Americans and two Nigerians to go to a Christian retreat and then to Obudu Cattle Ranch, where we'll be climbing Mt. Cameroon. Which I'm not excited about at all. ;) Hope your week goes well and that you'll be able to remember Who is in charge of it all.

1 comment:

Amanda G said...

um, EW. maggots=super gross. sorry you had one IN YOURS SKIN.