Nov 16, 2009

"Get and Get Over Malaria." Check.

Malaria 0, Warren 1. That's right. Malaria is over and I'm now just working on dealing with a cough. Which feels like nothing compared to blacking out, vomiting, extreme chills (sitting in the hot harmattan sun and still feeling cold), fever, extreme fatigue, aches, and a prodigiously runny nose.

This weekend I went to RCC which is a compound for Israelis who've been brought here to work for the government. The compound is . . . beautiful. Lush. An actual neighborhood. I loved it. We had dinner together with four of my Jewish students and we broke the Sabbath bread together. I wore a yarmulke and we had a splendid time. Afterwards, we went out to the thatch roof bungalow in the front yard. Surrounded by canaries, parrots, and African art, we swung in the golden glow of the evening lights. It was serene.

One event occured that made me realize something about my relationship with God. When we got there, the father of two of the students wasn't home yet. When he got home, the fourth grade girl ran forward and he knelt down as she leapt into his arms crying, "Abba!" What an amazing picture of what God desires of us, and allows us to call him. I can't stop thinking about it.

This week should be a good week. Partway through next week we'll start reviewing for end-of-term exams on Dec. 7-9. After exams, I'll be going to Obudu Cattle Ranch in the east of the country. On December 18th, I'll land in Minneapolis until January 3, when I'll fly back to Nigeria.

1 comment:

Maggie Thomas said...

1. Major props for beating malaria.

2. I'm super jealous you're going to Obudu! I hear such great things.

3. This may be a bit forward, but I would love to swap teaching-English-in-Nigeria stories with you when we're both home for Christmas. If that doesn't creep you out too much, let me know. :)

4. Finish strong! Only a month before home! :)

cheering for you,

the other Minnesotan in Nigeria