May 12, 2010

One More, Then Nine More

It's strange to me that I leave Nigeria one month from today. I knew that this year would fly by, but it's funny how quickly it has really gone. I wonder if next year will go even faster.

I can say that I'm definitely glad to have my first year of teaching almost behind me. Looking back at the year, I can see a LOT of places where I made mistakes. Which is funny, because after such good reviews in my student teaching placements, part of me expected to come into this job and be amazing right away. Talk about an unrealistic expectation! But even though this year has been difficult in many ways, I'm glad that my first year of teaching was in Nigeria. It taught me right away how to deal with a lot of issues that I may not have experienced until much later in my career if I were in the U.S.

Though it will be a bummer to say goodbye to my students for a few months, I am definitely getting excited for my trip to Europe and for my "vacation" at home. It will hopefully be relaxing and uplifting (as well as exciting :)!

No comments: