Nov 30, 2008

Sweep Them into a Corner

I am saddened by the attitude of our society towards the elderly. There is so much wisdom to be learned from them, and we continually push them to the fringes of our lives so that they are in our thoughts for important events and holidays, but otherwise they sit forgotten in a winter home in Florida or in an RV around the country. What an awful way to treat those who have gone before us and cared for us and our parents.

It's as though we lose respect for people once they hit a certain age, and then we try to sweep them into a corner. I am certainly guilty of this as well. How often have I looked down upon those with more experience than I simply because they haven't kept up with the times. Too many times. I'm pretty sure that our Father God who made us doesn't want us to mistreat or push away our parents, grandparents, or the elderly in our church. And it's not that hard to change. Talk to them. I know I certainly don't call my grandparents enough. Stay later in church to give a kind word of encouragement to an older person that you don't know. Demonstrate that your youth and our society don't blind you to their existence and the incredible resources you have on hand by just dialing a phone number.

"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge;
fools despise wisdom and instruction. Hear, my son, your father’s instruction,
and forsake not your mother’s teaching. . ."
Proverbs 1:7-8

1 comment:

Missy said...

I love the elderly! You are right sir there def is a lack of respect when it comes to those who are older than us. Hopefully we as a generation can realize that we don't know it all in time to gain wisdom from those older before they are gone. I love my grandma, and I love the old people that i play the piano for at the nursing home. thanks for your post!