Apr 16, 2009

Five Postcards from a Walk in the Park

1. Sit down amid golden reeds
And share a tree with some birds.
The library of downy cattail books around you
Draws a tawny landscape.

2. Those birds I saw, they sing.
They sing . . . an orchestra/choir
In real, old-fashioned surround sound.

3. Remember the smell of spring?
It enveloped me today
With its loamy, growing, earth-scent.

4. The lake was cool,
But they ruckussed and splashed anyways.

5. Walking barefoot on forest trails:
The winter-long leaves lay softer than
Bedsheets of silk on my skin.

5 comments:

Kristina said...

I like that you put poetry on your blog. I enjoy poetry :) And I'm glad you like Gilead! It's so beautifully written, isn't it? Are you done with it now?

Eva Joy said...

I. Love. Your. Postcards.

Thank you for posting more.

Please do it again in the future.

philthecarl said...

did you write those?

W. MacLeod said...

Kristina, I haven't finished Gilead because my roommate took it back home. But I will be finishing it . . . eventually.

Eva, I'll definitely be posting more postcards. At the moment they are my favorite form of writing.

And I did write them, Phil. Poetry has been more interesting to me lately.

Laurel said...

i have Gilead. want to borrow it?