Apr 2, 2009

Gilead

I am in the middle of an incredible book right now. Gilead by Marilynn Robinson is already one of my favorite books of all time. And I'm only 100 pages in.

The style, the content, the descriptions, the outlook on life, the theology, the emotion: all of these are reasons I'm enjoying this book so much. Perhaps my favorite aspect of the book is that it is all one letter - written from dying father to very young son. The dying father is a pastor and his thoughts and memories from life are beautiful.

This book is not fast-moving. Just the opposite. And that's why I like it. It's one of those books that it's better to read aloud to yourself because it gives you time to process. There aren't too many like that.

(P.S. I'll maybe do a brief recap of the book once I'm finished, but no promises.)

1 comment:

Emily said...

I did not like it. Hmm, maybe I will have to try again.