Aug 17, 2009

A Weekend in Chicago?

This weekend I had the privilege of seeing two amazing people get married to each other. I don't know that I've looked forward to a wedding so much since my sister's wedding. The purity and love in both Kyle and Julie was amazing to see, and to watch their faces throughout the ceremony was beautiful. All in all, one of the best weddings I've ever been to. That was the highlight of the weekend. And here's the not-quite-highlight:

The wedding was in Yorkville, Illinois, which is supposedly an hour from Chicago. We got to Yorkville on Friday morning (at 1 am) and so we had all day Friday to spend in downtown Chicago, which I'd never done before. We left the hotel at 10:20am to try to catch a train into town, but by the time we got to the train station (10:50), we found out that the last morning train left at 10:20. Hooray.

The train being a non-option, we decided to drive to the closest L station and take that in. By the time we got to that station, it was just as fast and less expensive to drive all the way to Navy Pier (our lunch destination). So we did.

After driving down State Street (absolutely beautiful, by the way!) we finally found a parking place for Navy Pier at about 1:30. That's right. What should have taken us 1 hour took us 3. We had time for lunch on Navy Pier (and not even good lunch. I got bad Chinese followed by some Ben & Jerry's, thereby breaking one of my 2009 goals unintentionally) and then we had to head back for the wedding rehearsal. So my weekend in Chicago was really more of a quick lunch in Chicago.

Other than that experience, I had a great weekend and the road trip was actually quite fun. And I got to see my friends get married!

2 comments:

Kendra said...

AND you got to drive underground and feel good about it.. :)

Ryan Vanasse said...

your experience in Chicago sounds a lot like my experiences in Europe...in amsterdam, for example, I was going to go to the anne frank house on sunday morning, but instead had to spend the whole time planning a way out of amsterdam, and when i was done there was no time left to do anything.