Oct 30, 2009

A Week of Birthdays

This week in my 5th grade class (for which I am the homeroom teacher), I had 6 birthdays. One on every day from Monday to Saturday. Considering there are only 21 kids in the class, that's a rare chance.

One of the awesome (and somewhat annoying) parts about being the 5th grade class teacher is that I was there for every one of the parties during morning break, which was fun, but also a little stressful (Perhaps you'll remember that my 5th graders are the most rowdy and chaotic group of kids I've ever been with.).

While it meant giving up my morning break and dealing with students who just don't understand the concept of using their ears, I was able to spend some time with my students in a fun and carefree environment. All the cake, donuts, candies, chocolates, drinks, and presents helped. ;) In Nigeria, it's traditional to give gifts to your class on your birthday so this week I received roughly a pound of sugary sweets, 4 juiceboxes (usually Chi Exotic - basically a tropical fruit smoothie), one soda (Schweppes Bitter Lemon - it's my favorite!), a food thermos, and a thermos to bring my morning tea to class (this was the best gift- I've been wanting one all term).

I also was able, during this time, to speak with one of my Israeli students. He frequently asks me questions about the Bible and about its truth, and I was able to share why I believe what I do. I think he's trying to convert me, though, because he told me that when I go to Israel, I'll probably become a Jew. Sort of funny, but also painfully sad.

Overall, this week has been a good one. Blessings on Saanu, Georges, Guy, Toni, Chelgrin, and Rony as they've celebrated their birthdays!

No comments: