Sep 14, 2010

On Being Too Nice

Sometimes, I am too nice.

Usually, I am too nice.

And as we can learn from the wisdom of Little Red Riding Hood, "Nice is different than good."

One of my failings as a teacher comes from my desire to have my kids be in a good mood and cheerful rather than disciplined for their wrong behaviors. It's not a good practice. It's pretty serious. And to be honest, I'm not sure I know how to fix it.

Currently, in an endeavor to quit being the teacher-that's-so-nice-that-his-students-walk-over-him, I've started focusing on my classroom procedures. I'm praying that this works (a little help in that wouldn't hurt). I've changed (almost completely) the way that my classroom is set up, and hopefully it won't be long before I'm praising God for giving me the strength to show the tough love that these students need. I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

Kendra said...

Warren. I'm with ya. Good luck!