Nov 29, 2010

In Which the Author Reminesces of 2nd Grade and Divulges His Christmas Plans

It's hard to believe that this term is almost over. Tomorrow I give four exams to my students, of my nine total exams. Next week Wednesday is the last day of school for this term.

As some of you know, I'm going to Senegal and the Gambia over Christmas break this year. And guess what? I've still not purchased my ticket. And I'm leaving in a week and a half. Ga-hah *picture my chest caving in with the frustration of not yet having a ticket for something so close* That's a bit much for me.

I'll be visiting a friend there that I've known since second grade - Steve Turnbull. He's one of those friends where I remember exactly where I was when I met him and I remember knowing then that we would be friends. We played in his thawing front yard while our parents chatted and got to know each other. We splashed in the puddles and I'm sure we played some ridiculous game that required copious amounts of imagination.

This Christmas, my first away from my family (or Minnesota, for that matter), will be hard. But having an old friend to splash in puddles in Africa will help make up for it. My roommate from college and coworker this year, Kyle Kemp, will also be joining us. He doesn't know Steve (or French), but I'm sure we'll have a great time together.

"Warren, what are some things you're looking forward to most about your trip?" you may ask. Good question. I'm most looking forward to frolicking among the giant dunes of a tiny desert, to kayaking among the mangroves along the coast, to visiting Dakar (the "Paris" of Africa), to visiting a "culture forest" in the Gambia (not much idea what exactly this is, but it is listed in a few places as one of the best locations to visit in West Africa, so it should be fun), to watching giraffes and rhinos and monkeys in a game park, to having Christmas down in Africa (Straight No Chaser, anyone? anyone?), to lounging around on the beach.

Only a week and a half of mega-stress left. . .

1 comment:

Kelley said...

I love Straight No Chaser! I like that song too!