Nov 24, 2010

Of Thanksgiving, Unthanksgiving, and Thanksgiving Again

Before my principal left for the United States, she took my computer to get it fixed and promised to pick up a package from my parents including some things that I forgot, or found that needed once here. She got the computer fixed at the Mac store(the rubber bottom had begun peeling away from the metal. Very frustrating) and brought back an array of delicious and wonderful treats from my family (including markers, vanilla, several types of candy, several flavors of hot cocoa, some apple cider packets, a card, and a very scenty bunch of balsam. My family knows me well.) So one of the things I'm thankful for is that a) my family loves me a lot, and b) my principal was willing to help me out with these things.

Before my principal left for the United States, she told everyone that we would be having a big Thanksgiving celebration where she brought back a turkey from the US, then we would have a traditional Thanksgiving celebration on Thanksgiving Day with the South Africans and a few other Americans. She promised that it would be one of the better Thanksgivings here. We found out today that she not only did not bring back a turkey (which isn't the worst thing in the world), but she also denied ever promising to have Thanksgiving together. She and the South Africans are going to the beach in Lagos for the weekend. Tomorrow is Sports Daze (read "hellishly hot day when students are forced to give up studying for their exams which are next week and instead waste their time and energy on a track and field day which claims to be from 9-12, but we all know will be from 10-5 because they've scheduled so many freaking events) slash Thanksgiving, but we'll not be celebrating. One of the things I am not thankful for is my principal's constant poor communication skills.

However, even though we just found out that Thanksgiving has been canceled, we have a new plan. Sunday (ok, not Thanksgiving, but close enough when we have "school" on the day of) Kyle, Deborah and I will be getting together with Leah (the other American), her Nigerian husband Newton, and their 3 month old daughter, Alafia. We will be doing a Thanksgiving complete with cranberries, mashed potatoes, turkey, pumpkin pie, homemade rolls, sweet potatoes, stuffing, hot apple cider, mulled wine, and other fall vegetables. It might even be better than the promised best Thanksgiving in Nigeria. So one of the things I am thankful for is that we are still able to have Thanksgiving even though it's a few days late.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Mmm....mulled wine.

In LT some of the expats would eat a chicken sandwich and some apple pie at mcdonalds on thanksgiving day(american holiday = american food)...but then on the Saturday after the whole LCC community (locals and expats alike) and their fams would have a giant potluck thanksgiving meal together. I'm gonna miss it this year (was always a bummer to have to work on that thursday and to be away from fam, but something about getting together with people, even if it isn't on the same day, and eating t-giving foods still can be so nice! Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving Warren!