Nov 8, 2010

Of Blasts (or small rumblings) from the (not-so-distant) Past

I was recently (read just a minute ago) browsing Facebook during a correcting break, and I found that I really am horrible at keeping tabs on people who have been close to me.

My freshman year of college was incredible, and I made some fantastic friends. Unfortunately, I have also lost some fantastic friends. One such friend (whom I was insanely close with) is now living in New York with a great photography business and some amazing pictures. And yet I can find the same type of thing looking back just two or three years. One of my roommates for three years is soon going to be a father, a friend from choir is now living in China and doing amazing things for God there. It's funny how fast life can move and you don't even realize it.

I hate (and love a little bit) to think what will happen thirty years from now. Life will be very different, and I'm sure I'll have a longer list of people with whom I wish I did a better job of staying in touch. I guess that's life, though.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Funny. I was just thinking about this because of a Gerard Manley Hopkins poem ("The Lantern Out of Doors")--where the speaker sort of laments that he so easily loses connection with friends ("out of sight is out of mind") but rejoices that Christ (our "first, fast, last friend") never does. :)

Kristina said...

Freshman year of college was amazing, wasn't it? :) It's fun (and sort of weird and sad) to think about where everyone is now. We had/have some pretty awesome friends.